Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lesson 3: Color of Light

Tonight I looked over the .pdf for lesson 3.  After I shot the photos, I got on 2peas to see where the rest of the ongoing class were in their lessons.  I started this on my own because the group on the website was several weeks ahead of me.  I was thrilled to find that some of them were also a few weeks behind.  So if I can get in 2 lessons each of the next 2 weeks, I will be caught up with the class!  Here is a link to that class thread for week 3 in case you want to see:  http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&forum_id=21&thread_id=3035904

Now, about the actual lesson.  Most cameras have a setting called WB, or white balance.  I have always just shot on AWB, or auto white balance, in the past.  Well, low and behold, there are multiple different setting for the different types of light and a custom setting so that you can adjust it yourself for your conditions.  This is a huge development for me (no pun intended).  Now I know what to change on my camera to get rid of certain color casts and that yellowish glow you get when you take pictures indoors with artificial lighting.

This concept is best illustrated with a white or colorful subject.  I'm working on this in my bedroom while everyone else in the house is sleeping, so my subject is a bundle of cheap pearl bracelets and a fleece blanket.  And without further ado, here are my photos:

All shot ISO 1600, 1/50 sec,  f/5.6




No comments:

Post a Comment