Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Morning Monologue: The Soundtrack of My Life

It’s funny how something as simple as a song playing on the radio at the right moment can put things back in perspective.  I’ve been PMSing, worrying about money, the logistics of getting a house set up, and dealing with all the general overflow stress that comes along with the holidays.  Then, this morning when I got in the car, one of my favorite songs was on the radio as I crawled in my frost covered means of transportation.

It may show a bit of my redneck side, but I have an affinity for southern rock.   When I turned that dial and the lines to Simple Man played, “Forget your lust for the rich man’s gold, all that you need is in your soul,” it immediately quelled my financial woes and reminded why I rearranged my life and reset all my priorities. 

Everyone may not see things from my point of view, or agree with it.  But I’m the only one that walks in my shoes and I try to live my life a way in which I can feel proud.  There are certain morals, ethics and standards that I want to model for my daughter and making choices that go along with that may not always be the most profitable, personally beneficial, or easy in the short term. 

I truly believe that God (or the universe, whatever your personal beliefs may be) has an ultimate plan and sometimes you have to take the winding road to get there.  It may be riddled with pot holes and sometimes even completely lacking pavement, but those bumps and obstacles you encounter along the way are what make you stronger.  Coincidently, just as I dropped Babe Jr. off at school, the next song to play was Johnny Cash’s “A Boy Named Sue.”   

Hardships are what build character; the ability to adapt, adjust, and muddle through are what build a strong individual.  The important question is, can you overcome those obstacles while maintaining a sense of integrity and be proud of the choices you’ve made when you reflect on your journey?  I like to think I’m headed in the right direction.

5 comments:

  1. Very profound - but oh so true. I quit working outside the home several years back. It was a hard decision requiring many living adjustments. But I've never regretted the choice. Sure the kids would have more material things if I were still working full time - and the never ending items needing fixed or updated in the house would be done. But in the long run, I did what was needed for the family - and for my soul. Hang in there - there is a lot of truth in those southern rock lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right you are the only one that has to walk in your shoes. So we all need to keep it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comments. You have a great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, my goal this year is to slow down. Very insightful and refreshing Babe.

    ReplyDelete